Garage door springs are an essential component of your garage door, responsible for counterbalancing the weight of the door to make it easier to open and close. However, over time, garage door springs can wear out, become damaged, or break, leading to safety and operational issues. In this blog post, we will discuss why your garage door springs need to be replaced, and provide tips and advice on how to do it safely and efficiently with the help of Local Pro Garage Door and Gate Repair.
Why Do Garage Door Springs Need to Be Replaced?
- Wear and Tear: Garage door springs experience significant stress and tension every time the door is opened and closed. Over time, this stress can cause the springs to wear out, weaken, and eventually break.
- Rust and Corrosion: Moisture and exposure to the elements can cause the springs to rust and corrode, leading to weakness and breakage.
- Improper Maintenance: Garage door springs require regular maintenance, such as lubrication and inspection, to ensure they are functioning correctly. Failure to maintain them properly can lead to premature wear and tear and eventual breakage.
- Incorrect Springs: If the wrong type or size of springs are installed, they may not be able to handle the weight of the door, leading to premature wear and breakage.
- Safety Concerns: Broken or damaged garage door springs can be dangerous, causing the door to fall or become unbalanced, potentially causing injury or property damage.
When Should Garage Door Springs Be Replaced?
- Signs of Wear and Tear: If your garage door springs are visibly worn out, damaged, or weakened, it’s time to replace them. Signs of wear and tear include gaps in the coils, rust and corrosion, or a stretched or elongated appearance.
- Difficulty Opening and Closing: If your garage door is becoming difficult to open or close, it may be a sign that the springs are wearing out and need to be replaced.
- Loud Noises: If your garage door is making loud noises when opening or closing, it could be due to worn-out or damaged springs.
- Uneven Opening and Closing: If your garage door is opening or closing unevenly, or if one side is lower than the other, it could be a sign of worn-out or broken springs.
How to Replace Garage Door Springs Safely and Efficiently
Replacing garage door springs is a dangerous and complicated task that should only be performed by a professional garage door repair company like Local Pro Garage Door and Gate Repair. Here are some tips to ensure that the replacement is done safely and efficiently:
- Hire a Professional: Garage door springs replacement requires specialized tools, expertise, and knowledge that a homeowner may not have. A professional garage door repair technician has the necessary skills and training to replace the springs safely and efficiently.
- Use the Right Springs: It’s crucial to use the correct type and size of springs for your garage door. A professional technician can help you choose the right springs for your door’s weight and size.
- Replace Both Springs: When one spring breaks or wears out, it’s important to replace both springs at the same time. This ensures that the springs are balanced and will function correctly.
- Lubricate the Springs: Regular lubrication of garage door springs can prevent rust and corrosion, prolonging their lifespan.
- Regular Maintenance: Regular maintenance, including inspection and lubrication, can help prevent premature wear and tear and ensure that the springs are functioning correctly.
Garage door springs are a critical component of your garage door, and their replacement should be taken seriously. By understanding why garage door springs need to be replaced and when to do it, homeowners can ensure that their garage door is functioning safely and efficiently. However, it’s essential to hire a professional garage door repair company like Local Pro Garage Door and Gate Repair to replace the springs safely and efficiently. Our team of highly trained technicians has the necessary expertise, knowledge, and tools to replace your garage door springs quickly and efficiently, ensuring your garage door operates safely and smoothly. Contact us today at 888-5984838 for prompt and professional services.